We’ve already established that reading pattern directions is my kryptonite. Even when I was making dresses and blouses for Home Ec I needed help translating arrows and darts. The fact that my mother was a pretty accomplished “sewist” didn’t help matters because she was left-handed and (to me) did everything upside down and backwards.
I wanted a purse made from my treasured stash of Japanese fabrics. I knew how I wanted it to look, and I knew I had all the hardware and fabric and fusible fleece to do it. I even had the right size hexagons to paper piece the top part so I dove right in and then spent an inordinate amount of time ripping it apart. Ironically – I understand purse construction SO much better that now I might actually be able to tackle reading a pattern!
When I made this I tended to put pieces together and then say, “Hmm, I should have put those snaps in before I joined the 2 pieces together.” I honestly think I made a purse upside down and backwards. While I don’t think Mom would be proud, it is finished. I might need to remake one of the snap-in inserts, I got so caught up in stippling that the finished insert might be too heavy for the purse. I was always so afraid to stipple but I’m finding it can be very Zen-like. (It’s also quite a workout for your upper arms, let me tell you!) I have no explanation for my obsession with pockets other than to admit I have a fantasy of presiding over a completely organized purse. I bought a special zipper for the topmost closure – just in case those pockets get overstuffed and unseemly, I can zip the whole thing shut and no one will know.
I’d say it came out about 85% like what I wanted, and I might up that percentage after using it for a while. Think I’ll move into it and give it a test drive next week. But YAY, I finally (after years of waiting) did it!